She didn't ring the bell last month because she still had oral chemo until Thanksgiving.
Today we started by checking in to Same Day Surgery, then to clinic. It's December, so Emma got a stocking stuffed with art supplies, nail polish, hair accessories, and such.
![]() |
| Stocking, Play Doh, and Daddy. |
![]() |
| Doug is Emma's doctor. Doug frequently wears no socks. I think he looks like Flynn Ryder. |
We heard another kid ring the bell before us. There were 3 who finished today, all Doug's patients. Jessica, Emma's primary nurse, says that's the best Christmas present.
![]() |
| Jessica has been Emma's nurse for more than two years. Jessica has mad ninja port-access skills and she is Emma's buddy. |
![]() |
| Crafts, art projects, coloring, painting, and glitter. We love the things that set a children's hospital apart from other boring hospitals. |
She rang the bell, danced around, hugged her nurses, and posed for a picture (to be uploaded later.)
![]() |
| Some of Emma's nurses and her child life buddy. |
![]() |
| Two IDs: one for clinic and one for surgery |
Now she is in surgery, and we return to where we were when I started this blog.
Gratitude. I am so grateful.
EDIT/ ADDENDUM:
Surgery went fine. Dr. Tanner gave her enough to knock her out, but not so much that she wouldn't wake up. The port was pretty entangled in scar tissue, so the surgeon needed two incisions to get it out well and safely, but there it is, on the table.
We know quite well that PTSD is a reality for a lot of cancer families. Worries linger. Threats of relapse, secondary cancers, side effects from treatments, survivors guilt, and other worries follow cancer patients and their parents. I have no doubt that those worries will be there; but for now we are feeling relief, gratitude, freedom, and hope.
Threats may loom, but for now, Emma is fine. Tommy is fine. Lizzy is fine. Caleb is fine.






Biggest cyber ((((((HUGS)))))) for your family until I get to see you in January. What a blessing that you have such a wonderful team to support you through her care. I am sure they are like family now. (((Hugs))) to them too. Love you Mindy & your strong family.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you, your family, and especially Emma! You all have been in my thoughts often over the last couple years, I'm so glad your chemo has come to an end. Thanks for sharing your experiences and documenting all the miracles and goodness that come from such a terrible ordeal. Here's to a bright future for all!
ReplyDelete