Friday went well. We finished up with chemotherapy around lunch time and dropped in to see one of Emma's friends that is inpatient with higher doses of chemo. Kind of nice for both Clinton and I to get to chat with both mom and dad of another cancer kiddo while the bald girls giggle and watch cartoons. It makes us feel a little normal for a minute.
Friday night we took delivery of a huge box of medical supplies: sharps container, chemo container, chemo gowns, chemo gloves, a chemo spill kit, a port access kit, a case of saline syringes, a pack of heparin syringes, chucks, alcohol caps, alcohol pads, hospital hand sanitizer, and three syringes of I.V. chemo.
Saturday morning we met Carly, the weekend nurse. She taught and explained a lot, then administered the chemo. I learned a new acronym: SASH
S- Saline
A- Administer the drug
S- Saline
H- Heparin
If there are multiple medicines, then saline in between each different drug.
Carly taught me to flush Emma's port, which I have seen before, obviously, but not done. When it stays accessed, the port needs to be flushed twice daily, so Clinton or I can do that before bed.
Sunday Carly came again, and then this morning Dillon came. Dillon is our officially assigned home health nurse. He has a reputation for being able to access a kid's port nearly as well as the Hematology/Oncology clinic. He's been doing home health for something near 15 years. Currently about shoulder length, his hair is reportedly grown for the express purpose of donating it.
Dillon de-accessed Emma's port, and she is free from that until Friday when we go onto another 4-day I.V. run.
She has an oral chemo as well, that shouldn't touch anybody's bare skin if at all possible.
The poisons we have in our home to fight cancer... it's a little crazy, and yet I am so grateful for the advances in cancer drugs.
Pages
Our Story
If you are here, then you are part of Emma's team. Thank you for your overwhelming love and support to Emma, her parents, her sister and brothers. We are so grateful to all of you, and particularly to the incredible staff and volunteers and Primary Childrens Hospital.
ER visits so far: 21
Anesthesia count: 15
Sedation count: 6 (Sedation isn't as bad as anesthesia - so these are saves from anesthesia)
Blood Transfusions: 6
Platelet Transfusions: 4
Port Access: 87
Hospital Admissions: 6
12/12/15
ER visits so far: 21
Anesthesia count: 15
Sedation count: 6 (Sedation isn't as bad as anesthesia - so these are saves from anesthesia)
Blood Transfusions: 6
Platelet Transfusions: 4
Port Access: 87
Hospital Admissions: 6
12/12/15
Monday, March 3, 2014
Home Health Nurse
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Merinda, sounds like this will be a big phase. I'm glad there are resources that allow you to be home more than otherwise. During our cancer experience with my mom, the funniest of all of our home supplies were the morphine lollipops. Exactly what they sound like. I'm sure you will be a pro at SASH in no time. I'm cheering for Emma!
ReplyDelete"His hair is reportedly grown for the express purpose of donating it."
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have a great nurse.
I'm sorry about all the poison that Emma has to take but glad that she has the stuff that will make her well.