I will admit that I didn't dance the proper jig upon getting the news
that Emma is cancer free. It seems that a person who doesn't have cancer
should not have 2 1/2 years of cancer treatment in her future.
What
I know about cancer is pretty limited. What I know about childhood
leukemia as really not very much. I'm learning, though, and will
continue to learn. Today we found out what's next in a little more
detail.
Emma is in a normal risk category. Her symptoms at
diagnosis were common. Her reactions have been similar to textbook. She
has so far presented a typical case.
They expect to effectively
eliminate the cancer in the first 28 days. They did that. There have
been enough kids with ALL over the past 60 years to do a lot of research
and define the drugs and protocols that work best. They are still
tweaking and fine-tuning; but they have a pretty good idea that "no
cancer" isn't the final word. They must destroy every single last cancer
cell, or it will come back with gusto.
The next phase is
consolidation. 28 days of oral chemotherapy as well as weekly clinic
visits for intrathecal chemotherapy (chemo given through a lumbar
puncture into her spinal fluid.)
After that is 8 weeks of interim
maintenance, then 4 weeks of delayed intensification, and then 8 more
weeks of interim maintenance. Count that up and you'll get roughly 6
months.
If all goes well, then early summer will find Emma in maintenance, which runs for 2 years... according to the textbooks, anyway.
I
have information that truly makes me feel hopeful; but Emma has a long
way yet to go. I'm so glad that she is feeling better. Each day is a bit
better. She still tires pretty easily. She still limps. She is happier,
though, and clearly feels so much better than she has.
Pages
Our Story
If you are here, then you are part of Emma's team. Thank you for your overwhelming love and support to Emma, her parents, her sister and brothers. We are so grateful to all of you, and particularly to the incredible staff and volunteers and Primary Childrens Hospital.
ER visits so far: 21
Anesthesia count: 15
Sedation count: 6 (Sedation isn't as bad as anesthesia - so these are saves from anesthesia)
Blood Transfusions: 6
Platelet Transfusions: 4
Port Access: 87
Hospital Admissions: 6
12/12/15
ER visits so far: 21
Anesthesia count: 15
Sedation count: 6 (Sedation isn't as bad as anesthesia - so these are saves from anesthesia)
Blood Transfusions: 6
Platelet Transfusions: 4
Port Access: 87
Hospital Admissions: 6
12/12/15
Friday, November 1, 2013
What it Means
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment